Unusual headcanons

Share any headcanons you have which are pretty out there!

My current one would have to be imagining Vincentā€™s teen years as comically mundane and middle class. I used to go down the ā€˜tragic orphan who had no choice but to join Administrative Researchā€™ route, and I started out giving him a ā€˜normalā€™ backstory as a joke about that, but as timeā€™s gone on itā€™s got more enjoyable for me to make almost every aspect of his existence painfully everyday.

I approve of this headcanon.
(Although I did read a marvellous fic in which Vincent did indeed have a very tragic family background).
Some backstories popular in fandom are so overthetop or so overdone that I deliberately rebel against them. Eg:
Reno was an orphan and a drug-addicted child prostitute. Uh, no thanks; my Reno was an unprincipled tearaway and troublemaker from a loving home. Heā€™s severed all ties with them.
President Shinra was an physically abusive parent. I prefer to think of him as the kind of rich parent who ruins his child with too much protection and the wrong kind of frightened love; the kind who thinks his kid needs to ā€œtoughen upā€.

I suppose I did technically make Vincent a tragic orphan in my last thingā€¦ But I didnā€™t have him adopted by Shinra and filtered into Administrative Research from there, which is what I used to default to, for some reason (maybe itā€™s just popular fanon that orphans go to administrative research and I picked it up by osmosis?)

WHY does everyone make him a child prostitute??? Iā€™ve never understood the popularity of Reno-the-rent-boy headcanons but they really are everywhere. I donā€™t think Iā€™d care if it were one fic but I donā€™t get how itā€™s become a default when itā€™s a pretty unusual backstory! I wondered if everyone was copying one book that came out at the right time (or possibly one fanfic, I think that was his backstory on bishink back in the day and I guess that was influential). When I read Tipping the Velvet I wondered if the trope came from there (well istr thatā€™s an adult woman but itā€™s treated in a similar way to a lot of fic Iā€™ve seen). Iunno.

Defo guilty of this hc in the past. :stuck_out_tongue:

I made the glowy bit in the waterfall cave bioluminescent moss because I hated the idea of it being crystal so much.

I do often wonder about why the floor is so smooth and round in there, though.

1 Like

Before Vincent had his current set of limit breaks, his limit was just called ā€œPunchā€. It would make him throw a punch.

2 Likes